Iowa’s Most Trusted Service Company
Rabe Hardware is a family owned and locally operated full service mechanical contractor serving residential and commercial customers in Eastern Iowa since 1979. What started as a small-town hardware store and heating shop in Blairstown, Iowa, has since grown into one of Eastern Iowa’s most trusted service companies specializing in solar, geothermal, HVAC, plumbing, electrical and fireplace products and services. With decades of experience, our professionally trained technicians and installers have the expertise and knowledge to get the tough jobs done—and done right!learn more
This vicious storm passed through Iowa. Our house lost power. By the fourth day, every place I called had me looking at at least a week’s wait time for electricians to hook the meter back to the house. As I was sitting on our deck, I saw a Rabe Hardware truck drive by. Called them, and within an hour got a callback. They were just a few minutes away. Hours later, the job was done, and that night we had power again. Big shoutout to Rabe, I really appreciated the fast service.
We would like to thank every person at Rabe Hardware for the pleasant and professional work we received in the installation of heating, plumbing, and electrical contracting. We constructed a new home in 2005, after visiting with Jake Rabe. We took his suggestion and installed a geothermal unit. It surpassed all expectations, both in comfort and operating cost. The help with electrical and plumbing installation was great. The products are quality, the staff is superb, and the service exceptional. It was a very good experience.
Denny & Wendy
My wife and I started investigating the potential for a house solar system in late April. Jake and Rabe Hardware was one of several providers that we contacted for consideration. By far, they were the most responsive of all the companies we considered. They came to the house, got us educated, and provided a quote before most others even got back to us.
The Rabe price was the most competitive and provided the best solution, with high-quality components. Their team had our system (30 panels) installed in 4 hours while working with/around our roofer, who was finishing the installation of a new metal roof! They submitted and completed all of the paperwork and we are off and running!
Please consider Rabe first if you want a reliable, cost-effective solar solution done right!
This is the first time I have used Rabe Hardware. Allen and Josh installed a gas insert fireplace in my home yesterday. I could not have been happier. They were professional, polite, and most importantly, knowledgeable. I was so impressed that I will use them exclusively in the future.
Word of mouth is the best advertising which is how I came to find out about Rabe Hardware and is why I am writing this review. I promise you will not be disappointed using them.
My wife and I moved to Shellsburg, Iowa, this past summer. The home we purchased had solar panels that we knew nothing about. One of Rabe Hardware’s representatives stopped by not long after we moved in, as our panels were offline. He had us up and running in no time at all. He got us set up with the online app and gave a quick and easy tutorial.
Then, just days later, we found ourselves in the same situation as many in our area due to Hurricane Derecho. Jake Rabe and his team responded before anyone else! They laid out what needed to be done and completed it with the same speed and excellence as before.I am so impressed with this company, from the owner to all his team members.
Understanding the Many Benefits In-Floor Radiant Heating Provides
In-floor radiant heating systems utilize a variety of different methods – from heated water to electrical coils – to make the floors of Cedar Rapids homes more comfortable. They also produce a myriad of other benefits that make them an interesting investment option.
Fully understanding both the benefits and downsides of this type of heating method will ensure that you make the best purchasing option and avoid disappointment at the same time.
What are the Benefits of In-Floor Radiant Heating?
Choosing an in-floor radiant heating system is a wise decision. These systems have become increasingly popular in a large number of homes and are incredibly beneficial in many unique ways.
As an ever-increasing number of people try them out in their houses, they are finding that they benefit them in ways that they would never have imagined. Just a few unique benefits that you can get from this system and the ways it is more than worth the investment price include:
- Long Life – It may surprise you to learn that a high-quality in-floor radiant heating system canlast as long as 35 to 40 years. For most homeowners, this will be the lifespan of their home, meaning that they have high-quality heating that will be quite easy to maintain for years to come.
- Saves Money – As your heating system goes into effect, it will spread warmth up through your house, naturally cutting back on your HVAC costs, making it easier for you to turn down your heat, and creating a more efficient use of energy in your house at the same time.
- Quiet – If you get sick of hearing your heater kick on and off at various times throughout the day, you don’t have to worry about that with this heating system. It is completely silent to provide you with the high-quality level of sound management you need for your system.
- Warms Cold Floors – Many harder floors have a hard time staying warm, particularly cement or wood types. However, radiant heating systems help by putting the heat beneath the floor, making it warm at all times, and providing an extra level of comfort that other systems just cannot achieve.
Other benefits of this type of in-floor radiant heating system include a decrease in your electrical bills, easier entertaining when friends come over, a more comfortable home that feels better to you, and much more.
All of these benefits are huge and make this heating option something that a large number of people have seriously considered over the years. Before you buy this type of system, however, it is also important for you to understand a few of the downsides that you may experience with it.
Are There Downsides to In-Floor Radiant Heating?
Although we believe that in-floor radiant heating is one of the best options for homeowners and businesses at the same time, we also know that there are a few downsides to this system. We do believe that these minor problems are easy to accommodate and even ignore for most people who get heated floors.
However, we feel it would be unfair and inaccurate not to at least briefly mention them here. Doing so will make it easier for you to make a purchasing decision that feels comfortable and right:
- Cost – In-floor radiant heating is not a cheap option and is one that you’ll have to seriously consider before you start. You’ll be spending thousands of dollars on this type of system – but if you can afford it, you’ll be more than glad that you took the time to install it.
- Installation Time – The nature of installing this type of heating system means that you’ll be opening up floors that already existing, installing new coils, and taking many other steps that may make you uncomfortable because they may take you out of your home for a while.
- Lengthier Heating Times – Though this type of system is incredibly efficient and will create high-quality and long-lasting heat, it may take some time for your home to heat up using this method. But once it reaches a warm level, you will feel very comfortable and cozy.
- Discomfort – Some people who visit your home may find that warm floors feel strange or cause them discomfort. That isn’t to say that there is a burn risk here at all but that some people may find warm feet disconcerting, at first, though most people get used to this option very quickly in their home.
As you can see, the benefits of an in-floor radiant heating system far outweigh the negatives. The only issue that we think will deter some buyers is the cost. Those who cannot afford this type of system may find that it is a luxury that they just don’t need.
However, those who do invest in it will quickly wonder how they ever lived their loves without heated floors. We know so many of our customers end up loving their heated floors and are glad for the minor and temporary issues that they may have triggered.
Do You Want In-Floor Radiant Heating?
As you can see, in-floor radiant heating provides Cedar Rapids homes and businesses with the kind of amazing heating efficiency that they want and deserve for their needs. Just as importantly, this type of heating can create many benefits that go beyond efficiency.
So if you are interested in this option and want the best results for your needs, please contact us at Rabe Hardware right away. Our professionals will do what they can to make sure that your heating is properly installed.